- Brooker, R.; Karley, A.; Pakeman, R.J.; Newton, A.; Schob, C.; Morcillo, L., (2016) Biodiversity and function., In: Brooker, R., Hester, A. & Pakeman, R.J.(eds.). Ecosystem Services. The James Hutton Institute, Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen, pp6-7.
- Brooker, R.W.; Karley, A.J.; Newton, A.C.; Pakeman, R.J.; Schob, C., (2016) Mechanisms and consequences of facilitation in plant communities. Facilitation and sustainable agriculture: a mechanistic approach to reconciling crop production and conservation., Functional Ecology, 30, 98-107.
- Donald, K.J.; Clarke, H.V.; Mitchell, C.; Cornwell, R.M.; Hubbard, S.F.; Karley, A.J., (2016) Protection of pea aphids associated with coinfecting bacterial symbionts persists during superparasitism by a braconid wasp., Microbial Ecology, 71, 1-4.
- Karley, A.J.; Mitchell, C.; Brookes, C.; McNicol, J.; O'Neill, T.; Roberts, H.; Graham, J.; Johnson, S.N., (2016) Exploiting physical defence traits for crop protection: leaf trichomes of Rubus idaeus have deterrent effects on spider mites but not aphids., Annals of Applied Biology, 168, 159-172.
- Squire, G.R.; Hawes, C.; Ianetta, P.P.M.; Karley, A.J.; Begg, G., (2016) Ecosystem services from croplands., In: Brooker, R., Hester, A. & Pakeman, R. (eds.). Ecosystem Services. The James Hutton Institute, Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen, pp24-25.
- Brooker, R.W.; Bennett, A.E.; Cong, W.F.; Daniell, T.J.; George, T.S.; Hallett, P.D.; Hawes, C.; Iannetta, P.P.M.; Jones, H.G.; Karley, A.J.; Li, L.; McKenzie, B.M.; Pakeman, R.J.; Paterson, E.; Schob, C.; Shen, J.; Squire, G.; Watson, C.A.; Zhang, C.; Zhang, J.; White, P.J., (2015) Improving intercropping: a synthesis of research in agronomy, plant physiology and ecology., New Phytologist, 206, 107-117.
- Pakeman, R.J.; Karley, A.J.; Newton, A.C.; Morcillo, L.; Brooker, R.W.; Schob, C., (2015) A trait-based approach to crop-weed interactions., European Journal of Agronomy, 70, 22-32.
- Schoeb, C.; Kerle, S.; Karley, A.J.; Morcillo, L.; Pakeman, R.J.; Newton, A.C.; Brooker, R.W., (2015) Intraspecific genetic diversity and composition modify species-level diversity-productivity relationships., New Phytologist, 205, 720-730.
- George, T.S.; French, A.S.; Brown, L.K.; Karley, A.J.; White, P.J.; Ramsay, L.; Daniell, T.J., (2014) Genotypic variation in the ability of landraces and commercial cereal varieties to avoid manganese deficiency in soils with limited manganese availability: is there a role for root-exuded phytases?, Physiologia Plantarum, 151, 243-256.
- Aslam, T.J.; Johnson, S.N.; Karley, A.J., (2013) Plant-mediated effects of drought on aphid population structure and parasitoid attack rates., Journal of Applied Entomology, 137, 136-145.
- Brooker, R.; Aalders, I.H.; Ballingall, K.; Begg, G.; Birch, A.N.E.; Elliott, G.; Ellis, C.; Freitag, T.; Hawes, C.; Holland, J.; Holmes, B.; Hough, R.L.; Karley, A.; McCracken, D.; Mitchell, R.; Stockan, J.; Zadoks, R.; Albon, S.A.; Hester, A.J.; Pakeman, R.J., (2013) Biotic and biophysical underpinning of ecosystem services in the Scottish context: a review., Published online as an outputs from WP 1.1 of the Ecosystem Services Theme of the SRP.
- Cook, N.; Hubbard, S.F.; Karley, A.J.; Russell, J.R., (2013) Genetic diversity and complementary sex determination (CSD) in Dolerus aeneus (Hymenoptera, Symphyta): implications for the conservation of an ecologically-important sawfly., Conservation Genetics, 14, 1125-1133.
- Hackett, S.C.; Karley, A.J.; Bennett, A.E., (2013) Unpredicted impacts of insect endosymbionts on interactions between soil organisms, plants and aphids., Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 280, 1471-2954.
- Johnson, S.N.; Mitchell, C.; McNicol, J.W.; Thompson, J.; Karley, A.J., (2013) Downstairs drivers - root herbivores shape communities of above-ground herbivores and natural enemies via changes in plant nutrients., Journal of Animal Ecology, 82, 1021-1030.
- Bingham, I.J.; Karley, A.J.; White, P.J.; Thomas, W.T.B.; Russell, J.R., (2012) Analysis of improvements in nitrogen use efficiency associated with 75 years of spring barley breeding., European Journal of Agronomy, 42, 49-58.
- Clark, E.L.; Daniell, T.J.; Wishart, J.; Hubbard, S.F.; Karley, A.J., (2012) How conserved are the bacterial communities associated with aphids? A detailed assessment of the cabbage aphid (Brevicoryne brassicae) using 16S rDNA., Environmental Entomology, 41, 1386-1397.
- Johnson, S.N.; Young, M.W.; Karley, A.J., (2012) Protected raspberry production alters aphid-plant interactions but not aphid population size., Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 14, 217-224.
- McMenemy, L.S.; Hartley, S.E.; MacFarlane, S.A.; Karley, A.J.; Shepherd, T.; Johnson, S.N., (2012) Raspberry viruses manipulate the behaviour of their insect vectors., Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 144, 56-68.
- Cook, N.; Aziz, N.; Hedley, P.E.; Morris, J.; Milne, L.; Karley, A.J.; Hubbard, S.F.; Russell, J.R., (2011) Transcriptome sequencing of an ecologically important graminivorous sawfly: a resource for marker development., Conservation Genetics Resources, 3, 789-795.
- Karley, A.J.; Valentine, T.A.; Squire, G.R., (2011) Dwarf alleles differentially affect barley root traits influencing nitrogen acquisition under low nutrient supply., Journal of Experimental Botany, 62, 3917-3927.
Since 2004, I have been a researcher in Agroecology at the James Hutton Institute. After reading Natural Sciences at Cambridge, I studied for a D Phil in plant membrane nutrient transport at the University of York and IACR-Rothamsted. Subsequently, I have applied my training in plant nutrient physiology to study plant-insect interactions at scales of the organism and system. Postdoctoral research at the University of York on the nutritional physiology of aphids led to my current post.
Current research interests
The traits that allow plants and insects to perform optimally under environmental constraints intrigue me and form the focus of my research in plant nitrogen physiology and the interactions between plants, insect herbivores and their natural enemies.
Optimising plant traits
Identifying the traits that allow arable plants to perform optimally in reduced input conditions has been a key feature of my recent research. Through research funded by RESAS under Sustainable Crop Systems, I have worked with colleagues (Tracy Valentine, Geoff Squire) to identify barley root traits contributing to nitrogen uptake efficiency. We are now applying a similar approach to identify wheat root ideotypes for reduced input agriculture in a LINK project. I also collaborate with Pete Iannetta and Gavin Ramsay on a new Technology Strategy Board project, evaluating the nutritional value of faba beans for fish and animal feed, which has opened up a novel research area for the institute.
Plants, insect herbivores and natural enemies
Using aphids as a model, I focus on the impact of plant nitrogen quality, particularly tissue amino acid composition, on insect herbivore performance. In addition, I collaborate with colleagues to examine factors that indirectly influence the plant-insect herbivore interaction, for example through changes in soil microbial community (with Alison Bennett, James Hutton Institute). In collaboration with Julie Graham and Rex Brennan, we are identifying soft fruit plant traits that contribute to pathogen and insect pest resistance through a Technology Strategy Board project.
This research complements the work of my research students, to examine trophic interactions between insect herbivores, their microbial endosymbionts and natural enemies. I collaborate with Steve Hubbard (University of St Andrews) and Mark Chaplain (University of Dundee) to use both experimental and mathematical modelling approaches to explore the impact of microbial endosymbionts on insect population dynamics. I also work with Scott Johnson (University of Western Sydney) and Sue Hartley (University of York) to understand the effect of plant drought stress on insect herbivores and their natural enemies.
- Schӧb C, Kerle S, Karley A, Morcillo L, Pakeman R, Newton A and Brooker, R. (in press). Intra-specific genetic diversity and composition modify species-level diversity-productivity relationships. New Phytologist.
- Johnson SN, Ryalls JMW and Karley AJ. 2014. Global climate change and crop resistance to aphids: contrasting responses of lucerne genotypes to elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide. Annals of Applied Biology 165, 62-72.
- Graham J, Hackett CA, Smith K, Karley A, Mitchell C, Roberts H, O’Neill T. 2014. Genetic and environmental regulation of plant architectural traits and opportunities for pest control in raspberry. Annals of Applied Biology doi:10.1111/aab.12134.
- Hackett, S., A. Karley, A. Bennett. 2013. Intimate Relations: How do plant and insect symbionts shape plant-herbivore interactions? Proceedings of the Royal Society B 280 (1768): 20131275.
- Mitchell C., Brennan R., Graham J., Johnson S.N., Karley A., O’Neill T. and Roberts H. 2013. Physical traits in raspberry provide resistance to pests and disease. Aspects of Applied Biology 119, 183-187.
- White P.J., George T.S., Dupuy L.X., Karley A.J., Valentine T.A., Wiesel L. and Wishart J. 2013. Root traits for infertile soils. Frontiers in Plant Science 4, a193. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2013.00193.
- Johnson S.N., Mitchell, C.M., McNicol, J.M., Thompson, J. and Karley, A.J. 2013. Downstairs drivers – root herbivores shape communities of aboveground herbivores and natural enemies in a shrub field. Journal of Animal Ecology 82 (5), 1021-1030.
- Cook N., Hubbard S.F., Karley A.J., Russell J.R. 2013. Genetic diversity and complementary sex determination (CSD) in Dolerus aeneus (Hymenoptera, Symphyta): implications for the conservation of an ecologically-important sawfly. Conservation Genetics 14, 1125-1133.
- Clark, E.L., Daniell, T.J., Wishart, J., Hubbard S.F., Karley, A.J. 2012. How conserved are the bacterial communities associated with aphids? A detailed assessment of the cabbage aphid (Brevicoryne brassicae) usng 16S rDNA. Environmental Entomology 41 (6), 1386-1397.
- Aslam, T.J., Johnson, S.N. and Karley, A.J. 2012. Plant-mediated effects of drought on aphid population structure and parasitoid attack. Journal of Applied Entomology. (doi:10.1111/j.1439-0418.2012.01747.x)
- Bingham, I.J., Karley, A.J., White, P.J., Thomas, W.T.B. and Russell, J.R. 2012 Analysis of improvements in nitrogen use efficiency associated with 75 years of barley breeding. European Journal of Agronomy 42, 49-58.
- Johnson, S.N., Young, M.W. and Karley, A.J. 2012. Protected raspberry production alters aphid-plant interactions but not aphid population size. Agricultural and Forest Entomology 14, 217-224.
- McMenemy, L.S., Hartley, S.E., MacFarlane, S.A., Karley, A.J., Shepherd, T. and Johnson, S.N. 2012. Raspberry viruses manipulate the behaviour of their insect vectors. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 144, 56-68.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter: