Nikki is a research scientist and consultancy contact for staff and external clients. She works on research and commercial contracts related to water quality and wind farms, river restoration and macronutrients, and is currently working with science staff to identify further commercial opportunities in areas such as environmental impact assessment.
Nikki completed a BSc in Physical Geography at the University of Sheffield in July 2009, followed by a PhD in Ecohydrology through the University of Leeds (completed in February 2014). Her PhD, titled ‘Modelling the ecohydrology of moorland hillslopes’, investigated the effect of muirburn (heather burning) on the ecohydrological functioning of upland temperate hillslopes and combined field-based monitoring with a laboratory experiment and numerical modelling.
Nikki has been based at the Institute since January 2010, initially to conduct fieldwork and laboratory work for her PhD, and since June 2013 as a member of staff within the Environmental and Biochemical Sciences group. Nikki’s previous role (June 2013-August 2014) within the Institute was to coordinate the field and laboratory work of a small group within EBS to support research related to water quality, natural flood management and environmental monitoring.
- Dodd, N.H., Demars, B., Dunn, D., Oyesiku-Blakemore, J., Perez-Barberia, J., Iason, G., Chapman, S. 2014. Research underpinned by ECN data at Glensaugh: examples. UK Environmental Change Network 20-year symposium. University of Lancaster. Poster presentation.
- Dodd, N.H., Watson, H., Barrie, D., Hamilton, D. 2014. Glensaugh and Sourhope, UK ECN sites: changes in management and ecosystem services over 20 years of ECN monitoring. UK Environmental Change Network 20-year symposium. University of Lancaster. Poster presentation.
- Dodd, N.H., Dunn, S.M., Baird, A.J. and Wainwright, J. 2012. Ecohydrological patterns and vegetation management practices: importance for whole-hillslope hydrological behaviour. Examples from northern temperate hillslopes. BHS Eleventh National Symposium, Hydrology for a changing world, Dundee, Scotland. Conference paper.
- Dodd, N.H., Baird, A.J., Dunn, S.M. and Wainwright, J. 2011. Spatiotemporal ecohydrological patterns and processes in temperate uplands: linking field observations and modelling. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2011, San Francisco. Abstract #H14D-07. Oral presentation.
- Dodd, N.H., Dunn, S.M., Baird, A.J. and Wainwright, J. 2010. Exploring ecohydrological functioning through characterisation of spatiotemporal patterns in vegetation and soil moisture. EGU Leonardo Topical Conference Series on the hydrological cycle. Luxembourg. Poster presentation. Poster competition winner.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter: