Virtual Landscape Theatre
What is it?
The Virtual Landscape Theatre (VLT) is a mobile curved screen projection facility, in which people can be 'immersed' in computer models of their environment to explore landscapes of the past, present and future. It is used with communities around the country.
Small groups have the opportunity to experience landscapes by moving through the virtual world, add new content, view realistic representations, or augmented with other information such as flood risk, natural heritage designations, wind speed, land ownership, or soil type – and they can provide feedback by means of a voting handset. That way the public can be directly involved in the planning decisions that affect them.
This facility is the first mobile unit of its kind in the United Kingdom, and is used for scientific research as well as engagement with the public on issues of landscape change. The theatre has been funded by the Scottish Government to improve our understanding of the complex issues surrounding land use and rural societies.
What is it for?
- To develop ‘best practice’ over how the public can participate in planning and proposed changes for the countryside.
- Raise public awareness of the reasons behind landscape change.
- Find out what people prefer about landscapes and the values they place on the countryside.
Latest research paper
Wang et al. 2015. Visualisation techniques to support public interpretation of future climate change and land-use choices: a case study from N-E Scotland, International Journal of Digital Earth.
Featuring in research projects on ...
- Greenspace and human health and wellbeing (GreenHealth)
- Spatial planning of aquaculture (H2020 Aquaspace)
- Making European Policy Popular through Challenge, Learning, Innovation, Cooperation: An experiment on the Landscape Convention (E-CLIC)
- Public participation in landscape management and planning (EU FP5 VisuLands)
- Scottish Government Strategic Research Programme (2006-2011 and 2011-2016)
Read about ...
- VLT Technical Details
- VLT Past Events
- VLT Publications
- VLT Information Notes
- VLT Development Theatre
- VLT Team
- VLT in the News
- VLT Image Gallery
For more info about the VLT email us.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter: