Colin is Director of Science Excellence and is responsible for the strategic development of the excellence of the institute's scientists, facilities and resources. He has 23 years of research experience in soil microbiology/soil science applied to agri-environment issues. His expertise lies in fundamental and applied studies on the effects of pollutants on soil microorganisms and soil health and in understanding how microbial diversity contributes to ecosystem functioning.
He is a visiting professor at Soil and Environment Department, Swedish Agricultural Sciences University (SLU), Uppsala, Sweden and a member of Scientific Advisory Committee of SNH. He recently served on the RSE Commission of Inquiry "Facing up to Climate Change" and was a contributing author to the UK National Ecosystem Assessment. He is an associate editor with Soil Use and Management and the European Journal of Soil Science and has acted as an expert advisor and participant in several EU and UK Government workshops addressing issues of the sustainable use of soils.
Current research interests
Current projects include studies of the use of biological indicators of soil health and the effects of recycled organic matter on soil micro-organisms to better define the sustainability of such practices with a specific focus on soil protection and Statutory limits for heavy metals. He also co-leads, with the Swedish Agricultural Sciences University (SLU) and SAC, an international project funded by the Swedish research council looking at micronutrient supply in organic farming systems in relation to localised soil resource-food quality issues. He is co-inventor of MicroResp, a novel physiological profiling method for characterising soils, sediments and waters and has other patents pending on novel molecular fingerprinting methods.
Colin's highlighted publications
- Dawson, L.A.; Hillier, S.; Duff, B.; Robertson, J.; Ross, J.M.; Brewer, M.; Mayes, R.W.; Towers, W.; Hudson, G.; Campbell, C.D., (2010) Use of soil fingerprinting approaches for ascertaining change over time., ASA, CSSA and SSSA 2010 International Annual Meeting, Long Beach, California, 31 October - 4 November 2010.
- Macdonald, L.M.; Dawson, L.A.; Singh, B.K.; Hillier, S.; Robertson, A.H.J.; Mayes, R.W.; Campbell, C.D.; Bellamy, P.A.; Ritz, K., (2010) Biomolecular analyses to complement mineral-based forensic geoscience approaches in distinguishing urban land-use types., International Workshop on Criminal and Environmental Soil Forensics, 3rd, Long Beach, California, 2-4 November 2010.
- Macdonald, L.M.; Singh, B.K.; Thomas, N.; Brewer, M.; Campbell, C.D.; Dawson, L.A., (2008) Microbial DNA profiling by multiplex terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism for forensic examination of soil evidence and the influence of sample condition., Journal Applied Microbiology, 105, 813-821.
- Germaine, K.; Keogh, E.; Garcia-Cabellos, G.; Borremans, B.; van der Lelie, D.; Barac, T.; Oeyen, L.; Vangronsveld, J.; Porteous Moore, F.; Moore, E.R.B.; Campbell, C.D.; Ryan, D.; Dowling, D.N., (2004) Colonisation of poplar trees by gfp expressing bacterial endophytes., FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 48, 109-118.
Colin's most recent publications
- Nielsen, U.N.; Osler, G.H.R.; Campbell, C.D.; Burslem, D.F.R.P.; van der Wal, R., (In press) Predictors of fine-scale spatial variation in soil mite and microbe community composition differ between biotic groups and habitats., Pedobiologia.
- Hough, R.L.; Booth, P.; Avery, L.M.; Rhind, S.M.; Crews, C.; Bacon, J.; Campbell, C.D.; Tompkins, D., (2012) Risk assessment of the use of PAS100 green composts in sheep and cattle production in Scotland., Waste Management, 32, 117-130.
- Barrett, G.; Campbell, C.D.; Fitter, A.H.; Hodge, A., (2011) The arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus hoi can capture and transfer nitrogen from organic patches to its associated host plant at low temperature., Applied Soil Ecology, 48, 102-105.
- Mitchell, R.J.; Hester, A.J.; Campbell, C.D.; Chapman, S.J.; Cameron, C.M.; Hewison, R.L.; Potts, J.M., (2011) Explaining the variation in the soil microbial community: do vegetation composition and soil chemistry explain the same or different parts of the microbial variation?, Plant and Soil. Published online
- Paterson, E.; Campbell, C.D.; Coull, M.C.; Shand, C.A., (2011) Geochemical atlas for Scottish topsoils., The Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, Aberdeen. ISBN 978-0-902701-007
- Yao, H.; Campbell, C.D.; Qiao, X.R., (2011) Soil pH controls nitrification and carbon substrate utilization more than urea or charcoal in some highly acidic soils., Biology and Fertility of Soils, 47, 515-522.
- Yao, H.; Gao, Y.; Nicol, G.W.; Campbell, C.D.; Prosser, J.I.; Zhang, L.; Han, W.; Singh, B.K., (2011) Links between ammonia oxidizer community structure, abundance and nitrification potential in acidic soils., Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 77, 4618-4625.
- Baker, K.L.; Marshall, S.; Nicol, G.W.; Campbell, C.D.; Nicollier, G.; Ricketts, D.; Killham, K.; Prosser, J.I., (2010) Degradation of metalaxyl M in contrasting soils is influenced more by differences in physicochemical characteristics than in microbial community composition after reinoculation of sterilised soils, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 42, 1123-1131.
- Campbell, C.D.; Cooper, P.; Crooks, W.; Sinclair, A.; White, D., (2010) Impact of long term sewage sludge additions to biological functions in Scottish soils., Final Report to The Scottish Government. CR/2008/03
- Hough, R.L.; Crews, C.; White, D.; Driffield, M.; Campbell, C.D.; Maltin C., (2010) Degradation of yew, ragwort and rhododendron toxins during composting., The Science of the Total Environment, 408, 4128-4137.
- Mitchell, R.J.; Campbell, C.D.; Chapman, S.J.; Cameron, C.M., (2010) The ecological engineering impact of a single tree species on the soil microbial community., Journal of Ecology, 98, 50-61.
- Mitchell, R.J.; Hester, A.J.; Campbell, C.D.; Chapman, S.J.; Cameron, C.M.; Hewison, R.L.; Potts, J.M., (2010) Is vegetation composition or soil chemistry the best predictor of the soil microbial community?, Plant and Soil, 333, 417-430.
- Nielsen, U.N.; Osler, G.H.R.; Campbell, C.D.; Neilson, R.; Burslem, D.F.R.P.; van der Wal, R., (2010) The enigma of soil animal species diversity revisited: the role of small-scale heterogeneity., PLoS ONE, 5(7), Article Number: e11567.
- Nielsen, U.N.; Osler, G.H.R.; Campbell, C.D.; van der Wal, R.; Burslem, D.F.R.P., (2010) The influence of vegetation type, soil properties and precipitation on the composition of soil mite and microbial communities at the landscape scale., Journal of Biogeography, 37, 1317-1328.
- Aalders, I.H.; Ball, B.; Black, H.I.J.; Campbell, C.D.; Griffiths, B.; Hopkins, D.; Hough, R.L.; Lilly, A.; Mckenzie, B.; Rees, R.M.; Sinclair, A.; Towers, W.; Watson, C., (2009) Considerations for Scottish soil monitoring in the European context., European Journal of Soil Science, 60, 833-843.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter: