Bill Slee is an experienced researcher in the field of rural development. He was Head of the Social, Economic and Geographical Sciences (SEGS) research group at the James Hutton Institute until March 2012. His research contributes to the SEGS research group agenda which seeks to address major contemporary social and economic research challenges, such as natural resource governance, ecosystem services valuation, sustainable behaviours, rural community vibrancy, and wellbeing and socioeconomic transitions in rural economies. Bill was previously a senior lecturer in the University of Aberdeen and Director and Research Professor of Rural Economy at the Countryside and Community Research Unit at the University of Gloucestershire, where he retains a visiting chair.
Current research interests
Bill’s principal research interests are the socioeconomic dimensions of land based and wider socioeconomic adjustment and change in rural economies of developed countries. His preference is for the use of mixed methods approaches combining quantitative and qualitative analysis. He is currently working on climate change related issues, water quality, farm adjustment and rural development. He has worked extensively in exploring the economic impacts of forestry, the restructuring and transformation of the farm sector, the impact of new food supply chains on rural development, the evaluation of LEADER, land reform and rural tourism and recreation. He has been active in European projects on forestry, food supply chains and rural tourism.
Ongoing and recent projects
Bill is currently involved in the following projects:
- INQUEST a Valuing Nature Network (VNN) funded project.
- the evaluation of the Scotland Rural Development Programme (SRDP)
- REFRESH and FarmPath, both funded under the European Commission's Seventh Framework Programme (FP7 )
- Theme 8 "Nurturing Vibrant and Low Carbon Communities" and Theme 2.2, both projects funded under the Rural and Environment Science and Analytical Services (RESAS) Division set up by the Scottish Government.
- Climate XChange (the Centre of Expertise on Climate Change)
- Nijnik, M.; Pajot, G.; Moffat, A.; Slee, B., (2013) An economic analysis of the establishment of forest plantations in the United Kingdom to mitigate climatic change., Forest Policy and Economics, 26, 34-42.
- Sutherland, D.; Aitchison, C.; Baird, A.; Bestwick, C.; Brady, A.; Burr, M.; Ferguson, P.; Fraser, J.; Hagan, S.; Loughran, T.; MacKenzie, P.; Robertson, A.; Rodger, G.; Shaw, E.; Slee, B.; Storey, J., (2013) The report of the commission on the delivery of rural education., Scottish Government, St Andrew's House, Edinburgh, 70pp.
- Sutherland, L.A.; Burton, R.J.F.; Ingram, J.; Blackstock, K.L.; Slee, B.; Gotts, N., (2012) Triggering change: towards a conceptualisation of major change processes in farm decision-making., Journal of Environmental Management, 104, 142-151.
- Balana, B.B.; Vinten, A.J.A.; Slee, B., (2011) A review on cost-effectiveness analysis of agri-environmental measures related to the EU WFD: Key issues, methods, and applications., Ecological Economics, 70, 1021-1031.
- Buttoud, G.; Kouplevatskaya-Buttoud, I.; Slee, B.; Weiss, G., (2011) Barriers to institutional learning and innovations in the forest sector in Europe: Markets, policies and stakeholders., Forest Policy and Economics, 13, 124-131.
- Nijnik, M.; Slee, B.; Pajot, G., (2011) Opportunities and challenges for terrestrial carbon offsetting and marketing, with some implications for forestry in the UK., South and East European Journal of Forestry (SEEFOR), 1, 69-79.
- Skerratt, S.; Slee, B., (2010) Rural development after 2013 - A Scottish perspective., Joint AES and SFER Conference on The Common Agricultural Policy Post 2013, Edinburgh, April 2010
- Cook, P.; Booth, J.; Roberts, D.; Hopkins, J.; Slee, B.; Grieve, J., (2016) The land based sector in NE Scotland: facing the future (Summary and Main reports)., Report for Aberdeenshire Council, March 2016.
- Martin-Ortega, J.; Perni, A.; Jackson-Blake, L.; Balana, B.B.; Dunn, S.M.; McKee, A.; Helliwell, R.C.; Psaltopoulos, D.; Skuras, D.; Cooksley, S.; Slee, B., (2015) A transdisciplinary approach to the economic analysis of the European Water Framework Directive., Ecological Economics, 116, 34-45.
- Slee, B.; Feliciano, D., (2015) Challenges in the design of indicators for assessing the impact of the Scotland Rural Development Programme 2007-2013 on climate change mitigation., Ecological Indicators, 59, 94-103.
- Slee, B.; Hopkins, J.; Vellinga, N., (2015) Could the creative class be a factor in Scottish rural development?, Scottish Affairs, 24, 207-226.
- Slee, R.W., (2015) Is there a case for community-based equity participation in Scottish on-shore wind energy production? Gaps in evidence and research needs., Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 41, 540-549.
- Slee, R.W.; Miller, D.G., (2015) School closures as a driver of rural decline in Scotland: a problem in pursuit of some evidence?, Scottish Geographical Journal, 131, 78-97.
- Feliciano, D.; Hunter, C.; Slee, B.; Smith, P., (2014) Climate change mitigation options in the rural land use sector: Stakeholders' perspectives on barriers, enablers and the role of policy in North East Scotland., Environmental Science and Policy, 44, 26-38.
- Feliciano, D.; Slee, B.; Smith, P., (2014) The potential uptake of domestic woodfuel heating systems and its contribution to tackling climate change: A case study from the North East Scotland., Renewable Energy, 72, 344-353.
- Grieve, J.; Lukeesch, R.; Michalek, J.; Nieto, E.; Rannanpa, S.; Sanopoulos, A.; Slee, B.; Scneidewind, P.; Tvrdonova, J.; Wimmer, H., (2014) Capturing the success of your RDP: guidelines for the ex-post evaluation of 2007-13 RDPs., European Commission: European Evaluation Network for Rural Development.
- Jackson-Bake, L; Balana, B.; Dunn, S.M.; Helliwell, R.C.: Martin-Ortega, J.; Perni, A.; Slee, B., (2014) Synthesis of work in the River Dee catchment, UK., Deliverable 7.13 of the EU FP7 REFRESH Project.
- Nijnik, M.; Slee, B.; Nijnik, A., (2014) Biomass production: impacts on the other ecosystem services., In: Pelkonen, P.; Mustonen, M.; Asikainen, A.; Egnell, G.; Kant, P.; Leduc, S.; Pettenella, D.(eds.). Forest Bioenergy for Europe - What Science Can Tell Us. European Forest Institute, Chapter 5.2., pp82-89.
- Slee, B.; Brown, I.; Donnelly, D.; Gordon, I.J.; Matthews, K.B.; Towers, W., (2014) The `squeezed middle?: identifying and addressing conflicting demands on intermediate quality farmland in Scotland., Land Use Policy, 41, 206-216.
- Slee, B.; Hopkins, J.; Copus, A., (2014) Rural Perth and Kinross area profile for the LEADER local development strategy (2014-2020)., Report for Rural Perth and Kinross LEADER Programme.
- Slee, B.; Pinto-Correia, T., (2014) Understanding the diversity of rural areas., In: Sutherland, L-A.; Darnhofer, I.; Wilson, G. A.; Zagata, L. (eds.) Transition Pathways towards Sustainability in Agriculture: Case studies from Europe. CABI, Wallingford.
- Thomson, K.; Vellinga, N.; Slee, B.; Ibiyemi, A., (2014) Mapping socio-economic performance in rural Scotland., Scottish Geographical Journal, 130, 1-21.
- Balana, B.; Martin-Ortega, J.; Perni, A.; Slee, B.; Helliwell, R.C.; Jackson-Blake, L.; Cooksley, S.L.; Dunn, S.M., (2013) Cost-effectiveness analysis report for the Dee sub-catchment (Scotland) including analysis of disproportionality, REFRESH PROJECT: Adaptive Strategies to Mitigate the Impacts of Climate Change on European Freshwater Ecosystems.
- Feliciano, D., Hunter, C.; Slee, R.W.; Smith, P., (2013) Selecting land-based mitigation practices to reduce GHG emissions from the rural land use sector: a case study of North East Scotland., Journal of Environmental Management, 120, 93-104.
- Feliciano, D.; Slee, B.; Hunter, C.; Smith, P., (2013) Estimating the contribution of rural land uses to greenhouse gas emissions: A case study for North East Scotland., Environmental Science and Policy, 25, 36-49.
- Reed, M.S.; Hubacek, K.; Bonn, A.; Burt, T.P.; Holden, J.; Stringer, L.C.; Beharry-Borg, N.; Buckmaster, S.; Chapman, D.; Chapman, P.J.; Clay, G.D.; Cornell, S.J.; Dougill, A.J.; Evely, A.C.; Fraser, E.D.G.; Jin, N.; Irvine, B.J.; Kirkby, M.J.; Kunin, W.E.; Predll, C.; Quinn, C.H.; Slee, B.; Stagl, S.; Termansen, M.; Thorp, S.; Worrall, F., (2013) Anticipating and managing future trade-offs and complementarities between ecosystem services., Ecology and Society, 18, Article No.5.
- Rivington, M.; Dinnie, E.; Craig, T.; Heslop, S.; Slee, B.; Matthews, R.; Nijnik, M.; Morris, S.; Stewart, D.; Martin-Ortega, J.; Dawson, L.A.; Daniell, T., (2013) Climate: public understanding and policy implications., The James Hutton Institute response to the UK Parliament House of Commons Select Committee Inquiry, April 2013.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter: